Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My Garden 2013: Adding On Using Firewood Raised Beds

Update 4/4/2013: This blog post was merged to "Daddykirbs Farm Blog". Please reset your bookmarks so you don't miss any super exciting updates to my garden and orchard!

Go to this link to view and comment on the current blog: http://daddykirbs.blogspot.com/2013/03/my-garden-2013-adding-on-using-firewood.html

I thought I had my garden all figured out this year. Boy, was I wrong. The six raised beds that I put in was just not enough. There is room for the Peppers, Tomatoes, Cantaloupe, Watermelons, Sunflowers, Cucumbers, Beets and Squash... oh wait, Where do I put the Squash?!  Oops, I didn't plan on a spot for the Squash!



Time for more gardens! LOL

Daddykirbs Garden Blog: Firewood Raised Beds
Daddykirbs Garden Blog: Firewood Raised Beds
This led me to look around at my available space and resources. The area to the right of the small chicken coops looks just right. In fact I put in a raised bed there already for my Onions and Leeks. I just need to move the compost pile around and build the beds.

I have already spent too much money on the garden this year so I wanted this to be very cheap... like free. There are materials here to choose from, like: Pallets, Bricks and Firewood.  Firewood wins! I have a big stack of this resource but I almost never use any of it. I don't burn wood in the house and since moving to the country haven't gone camping much. These logs will make very nice raised beds.

Daddykirbs Garden Blog: Chicken in the Garden
The chickens would have a ball in this if I didn't surround it with a fence. I'm very fortunate to have a supply of fencing and fence posts on hand as well. This entire garden was done in an hour or so with no money. All the materials were here just waiting to be rearranged and made useful. Check out the video at the top of this page to see the project from start to finish.

Go to this link to view and comment on the current blog: http://daddykirbs.blogspot.com/2013/03/my-garden-2013-adding-on-using-firewood.html

3 comments:

  1. I used something similar with my mulch "crib" last year. I built a rather impromptu log cabin style crib out of some blow-down. I stacked it up a couple of feet and dumped in my mulch from the smaller branches. Here's the only picture I could find - http://tinyurl.com/c9vnyqh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That looks like a great use of those fallen logs!

      Delete
  2. Thanks! This blog is the old version. Please check out and subscribe to the newer blog. http://daddykirbs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

This blog has been merged into Daddykirbs Farm Blog. Please look this post up at http://daddykirbs.blogspot.com to comment. I love your comments and interaction. Thanks!